How Did Carole Cook Die? Everything About The Sixteen Candles And Broadway Star

May 2024 · 5 minute read

Carol Cook, a veteran actress who starred in the Broadway production of Sixteen Candles, sadly passed away on January 11th, 2023. Her spokesperson Robert Malcolm made several news networks aware of her passing on Wednesday and revealed the cause of her death. She was known for appearing in hit shows, like 42nd Street, Romantic Comedy, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, and other theatrical series.

Keep reading to know more about Carole Cook, including who she was, how she died, what was the cause of her death, tributes for Carole Cook, and a lot more things!

Who Was Carole Cook?

Mildred Frances Cook better known by her stage name as Carole Cook was born on January 14, 1924, in Abilene, Texas. She pursued a degree in Greek drama at Baylor University. She spent some time working in theatre and launched her theatrical career in 1956 by taking on the role of Mrs. Peacham in the production of The Threepenny Opera.

Cook is survived by her husband, her stepson Christopher and his wife Becky, her sister Regina, and her nieces and nephews. Her sister also passed away before her.

Cook and Troupe made history in 2002 when they became the first husband-and-wife team to be honored with a Theatre Ovation Award. Cook’s family requested donations to The Entertainment Community Fund, which attempts to offer a safety net for professionals in the performing arts and entertainment, in place of flowers.

Carole Cook Career Highlights

In addition to her career and collaborations with well-known comedians, Cook also acted as Don Knotts’ wife in The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964) and Molly Ringwald’s grandma in Sixteen Candles (1984). She was only the second actress to play Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly!, after Carol Channing, who did it in 1965. She additionally had an appearance in 42nd Street and Romantic Comedy on Broadway.

Cagney &Lacey, That Girl, McMillan & Wife, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, Kojak, Dynasty, Chico, and the Man, Magnum,The Gauntlet, American Gigolo, P.I., Hart to Hart, Grey’s Anatomy, Summer Lovers, and 2004’s Home on the Range are among Cook’s other television appearances. In 2018, she gave one of her last performances in the New York club Feinstein’s/54 Below, where she sang and recalled memories.

How Did Carole Cook Die? Cause of Death

Carole Cook, a renowned actress well-known for her work on stage and television, including the 1984 John Hughes comedy “Sixteen Candles,” passed away at 98 years on January 11th, 2023. Cook co-starred with Lucille Ball, a legendary figure in Hollywood, on the American sitcoms The Lucy Show (1963-68) and Here’s Lucy (1969-74).

Robert Malcolm, a representative for Cook, revealed in his statement that Carol Cook passed away on Wednesday afternoon due to congestive heart failure in Beverly Hills, California, three days before her 99th birthday.

Cook’s nephew Mark Cocanougher also shared the news on Facebook and showed a heartfelt gesture for her,

“Carole lived a long and fulfilling life doing what she loved, and she passed away peacefully and comfortably. She made a lot of friends, and I’m sure they will all miss her enthusiasm, sense of humor, and talent in both her professional and personal life. And that’s very wonderful.”

Also read: Is Eddie Levert Dead or Alive? Know more about his life

Tributes for Carole Cook

Many of her fans expressed their condolences on Twitter as soon as they learned of her passing.

Carole Cook 1924 -2023 💔 pic.twitter.com/pbbPKAKNt2

— Burnside Gooch (@akakarenwilson) January 11, 2023

Geoffrey Mark tweeted,

“Words are absent. She and Tom Troupe, her husband, were lovely, encouraging friends to me. Together, we both cried and laughed.”

The legendary Carole Cook has left the stage.
There are no words. She and her husband Tom Troupe were wonderful, supportive friends to me. We laughed together and we cried together. pic.twitter.com/YbQkilysfJ

— Geoffrey Mark (@thegeoffreymark) January 12, 2023

“We became close while we spent a full year on Broadway performing. Her enormous heart simply gave up at the age of 98. I cherish you, Carole”,Mia Farrow posted.

Today we lost one of the greats- Carole Cook was making people laugh since the 1950s- on TV, in movies and on stage. We became friends when we were in a Broadway play for a full year. At 98 that huge heart of hers just gave up. I love you Carole pic.twitter.com/XBJuOQLvn6

— Mia Farrow🇺🇦 (@MiaFarrow) January 12, 2023

Comedian Scott Nevins paid tribute to her on Twitter,

“Completely devastated to hear that the legendary Carole Cook died today. She was outstanding! I was pleased that she allowed me to brag about how much “42nd Street” meant to me as a young person.”

So sad to hear that we lost the great #CaroleCook today. She was magnificent!!! I was honored to have had the chance to work alongside her, and grateful that she let me gush about how impactful “42nd Street” was to me as a child seeing my first Broadway show. Rest now, Carole. pic.twitter.com/9e1Sm3D7qo

— Scott Nevins (@ScottNevins) January 12, 2023

We send our deepest condolences to Carole Cook’s husband and other family members and pray that God would grant her soul to a better place. Continue visiting our website to read more articles of a similar type, and don’t forget to leave comments with your thoughts in the space below.

ncG1vNJzZminqJyusb%2BNqKmgZ5ikxG6wyJ1knJmipLmmecKopqRllJ6ybrHVnqmyrJieu6h5wJumrqxdqbWmedKir62dlaN6pK3NnaOeq12Wu6V5waummpynlsZuv9OaqWg%3D